Historic Design Review is a "confusing, time-consuming and expensive process"
Harris Matarazzo, Portland Historic Landmarks Commissioner
- Design Review adds 4 to 8 weeks to your project's schedule.
- After a project is approved, neighbors can appeal the approval, adding further delay and costs.
- This is not a vote. A property owner who does nothing is counted as supporting the Historic District.
- Over 280 property owners in the district have already voiced their objection, while only 25 have submitted letters of support.
We need you to add your voice.
- Modifications to the front of a house, such as the addition of a porch or dormer, are rejected out of
hand by BDS.
- Modifications not visible from the public right of way may be judged for "historical compatibility".
- No visible solar panels and ecoroofs are allowed.
- Skylights are not allowed on street facing roofs.